Friday 28 November 2008

Before the rain

Last morning walk before the rains arrive, but not much else. Oma went to Holland today to visit my great-uncle and the rest of the family.

Have been a bit lax describing my own humble achievements of late so I might as well summarise the changes and developments of the last few weeks..

I'm getting pretty good at holding up my head, no longer does it lollop around like a rag doll. Mummy & Daddy have made me strengthen my neck and back muscles by lying me on my back (maybe not every day, but pretty regularly none the less). I can also do a fair amount of kicking, especially when being changed (to make it more interesting for Mummy and Daddy) or in the bath (so they get clean as well), and can put my whole hand in my mouth (sometimes I actually overdo it and gag, much to my parents' amusement). We have decided that bathing only needs to be done every two days.

I am getting pretty observant and follow people and things around. When not feeding or in somebody's arms I usually lie in my baby hammock, and from there I can sleep or observe the world (much better than from the pushchair). I am begining to spend more time between feedings, especially in the mornings, and my crying time is mostly in the evening. The dummy helps but I'm not really a dummy freak. What I like most is being burped from a sitting down position, with my chin being held. I even like this when I don't really need to burp. Another thing that will definitely stop me crying is being carried in a sitting down position, facing straight ahead. And bounces. I like bounces. What baby doesn't? And also my rag chicken that makes a rustling plastic-bag kind of noise. I'm not too keen on being smothered, or even being carried on my back. When I don't like something I give plenty of advance warning by pouting. I sometimes do seem a bit serious, but it's pretty easy to make me smile.

I've always been a bit of a fist-clencher, with my thumb inside the fist, but lately I have been relaxing a bit more. My fists are less bunched up, and the thumb is now outside. I also open my hand a bit more. The brave attempts at grabbing a few weeks back have not been repeated in all this time, so I'm afraid it was a flash in the pan.